Should I sign up to a gym or setup my own weights and fitness machines at home?
This is a very common question.
Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and experience, but there is no doubt there are advantages for each option.
To help you make the right decision, let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of each workout option.
– professional support
– access to a wide range of machines
– clean, maintained environment
– other trainers can spot you for difficult exercises
– access to exercise classes, bodypump etc
– social atmosphere
– some people feel they will be more inclined to exercise because they have paid for a membership
– can be expensive
– hard to get on machines/weights when it’s busy
– some people feel self conscious
– some people feel under pressure to meet gym instructor’s goals
– travel time to get there
– ease of access, it’s in your home
– no rush to complete exercises
– equipment is never busy
– you can choose the music
– never closes, you can exercise any time of day
– you may have to pay big dollars to get the initial equipment
– no one to spot you
– you have to clean and maintain it
– you have to find space for it
– not social
– don’t get professional support from instructors
– may not get access to all the machines you would like
On the whole, it is probably fair to say that first time trainers are better served by attending the gym, while those with experience and who know what they want will be fine training at home.